Yomari or Yamari, is seasonal recipies among Newar community in Nepal.It is generally made on the Yomari puni, the full moon day .It is maded by rice-flour as external covering and putting the especial sweet substance named “chaku” .The speical chaku is made at home with different ingredients. There are differnt shapes of yomari made. Among them cylindrical, flat triangular are espcially made.It is said that the triangular and cylindrical shape of the yamari is symbolical representation of one half of shadkona, the symbol of sarwoti, the godess of knowledge and wisdom
Yomari Punhi is a Newari festival marking the end of the rice harvest. It takes place in December during the full moon day of Thinla, the second month in the lunar Nepal Era calendar. – wiki
Here is the method how to make yomari in brief.This procedure is for making 15 pieces of Yomaris
- Rice flour- 500 grams
- Chakku (Molasses)-100 grams
- Sesame seed Powder – 50 gram
- Coconut powder/ grated coconut-20 grams
- Cardamom powder- 5 grams
- Vegetable oil- 10 gram
- Heat a cup of water and chaku in pan at a medium heat
- When chaku melts, add sesame powder, coconut powder and cardamom powder and stir it gently.
- Add about a spoon full of rice flour and stir it gently
- When the paste is good (not too thick or too thin) pour it into a bowl
- Make the dough for yomari using rice flour and Luke warm water
- Make a soft dough (dough should be soft because if the dough is hard the yomari will break)
- When the dough is ready cover it with soft piece of cloth and leave it for about half an hour.
After half an hour
- Grease your palm with cooking oil so that the dough will not stick to your hand
- Take a small piece of dough and make it first into round then into long yomari shape
- Make as thin as you can because more thin your wrap is more tasty yomari becomes
- Add two teaspoon of chhaku into the wrap and slowly close the yomori top.
- You should keep on roiling the yomari while closing the top.
- Heat the water in the steamer.
- When water boils, put yomari in steamer and let it steam for about 10 minutes.
Yomari is ready to Serve.